Thursday, June 13, 2013

Here We Go

Hi!

My name is Arjun (me --->)

and I'm a 24-year old guy about to start medical school in August. I thought the perfect way to spend the summer would be driving across the country and seeing friends and family along the way, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I've lived in Philly for the past six years and have been working in Ob/Gyn research at Penn for the past year. My last day of work was today, Thursday, June 13, and I'm not wasting any time before setting out. I thought I'd make a blog in case anybody wants to keep up with where I'm going (and it's a good way to prove to my mom that I'm still alive). I'm gonna try to make a post for each of the stops I do, which equates to a post every couple days.

The total road trip is going to be 25 days between Philly and Los Angeles and will span about 5,000 miles. I'll be driving through parts of at least 18 states (PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, and CA) and staying over in 15 different places. Then I'll be spending two weeks out of the country; I'm flying to Hong Kong and finally to Malaysia, to see my grandparents and some more family.

I want to thank everyone so much who is hosting me along the way! I'm planning to stay at hotels/motels in Lincoln (or Omaha), Yellowstone, Spokane, destinations in Oregon and NorCal, and LA so if you live in or near any of those places and would be kind enough to host me for a night or two, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, if you are familiar with some of these places and have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. (you can shoot me an email to arj.prabhu@gmail.com) Thanks!

Can't wait to see all of you:
Cape Cod (Paula)
Pittsburgh (Mom and Dad, grandma, Aunty Asha, more family, Don, and Drew)
Chicago (Aunty Malini and Uncle Pankaj, possibly Sangi and Steve, and Aakash)
Denver (Anj and Avash, and Mom)
Seattle (Anish, Ashima and Neil, and Trevor)
San Francisco (Zach)
Hong Kong (Brandon and Mavis)
Malaysia (Amayee and Thatha, Mom, Sugan, Sanjeevan, Aunty Mari, and more family)

If you live in or near any of those cities OR in Omaha, Yellowstone Park, Spokane, Portland, LA or really anywhere on the west coast between Seattle and LA, I'm really sorry that it slipped my mind to contact you, but if you're free, I'd love to try to hang out -- just shoot me an email at arj.prabhu@gmail.com. For the exact dates, look below.


The Trip

Philly --> NYC --> Cape Cod --> Pittsburgh --> Chicago --> Omaha --> Denver --> Yellowstone --> Spokane --> Seattle --> Portland and Oregon --> San Francisco --> Los Angeles --> Hong Kong --> Kuala Lumpur --> Ipoh --> HK --> LA --> Pittsburgh

Blue = driving; Red = flying

Thurs night, June 13: Philadelphia, PA --> New York, NY (2 hours; 110 miles)

Fri morning, June 14: New York --> New Seabury, Cape Cod, MA (4 hours; 235 miles)

Mon morning, June 17: New Seabury --> Pittsburgh, PA (10 hours; 630 miles)

Wed morning, June 19: Pittsburgh --> Chicago, IL (7 hours; 475 miles)

Thurs evening, June 20: Chicago --> Omaha, NE (7 hours; 475 miles)

Fri late morning, June 21: Omaha --> Denver, CO (7.5 hours; 540 miles)

Mon morning, June 24: Denver --> Yellowstone National Park, WY (9 hours; 590 miles)

Wed morning, June 26: Yellowstone National Park --> Spokane, WA (8 hours; 510 miles)

Thurs morning, June 27 (my 25th birthday!): Spokane, WA --> Seattle, WA (4 hours; 280 miles)

Sun morning, June 30: Seattle, WA --> Portland, OR (2.5 hours; 175 miles)
      Sun afternoon, June 30: Portland --> Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway
      to Multnomah Falls, OR then back to Portland

Mon morning, July 1: Portland, OR --> Mary's Peak, Philomath, OR (1.5 hours, 90 miles)
      Mon late afternoon, July 1: Mary's Peak --> Sunset Bay State Park, OR (3 hours, 145 miles)

Tuesday early afternoon, July 2: Sunset Bay State Park, OR --> Redwood National Park, Crescent City, CA (2.5 hours, 130 miles)

Wed morning, July 3: Crescent City, CA --> San Francisco, CA (5.5 hours, 312 miles)

Thurs morning, July 4: San Francisco, CA --> LA (stopping several times along the way)

Tues afternoon, July 9: LA --> Hong Kong (arrive July 10)

Monday morning, July 15: HK --> Kuala Lumpur

July 22 -- back in the Burgh





2 comments: